Saturday 5 November 2016

Riding my own Motorcycle !

I am not sure if i have posted about my motorcycle. But nevertheless, this post is about it. Sometime around April of 2016, i got my own motorcycle with the help of my father. I was surveying through carousell in search of a motorcycle. I initial plan was to get a street, naked bike. Something like KTM, Yamaha FZ-16. However, due to my budget, i could not obtain those bikes. I then shifted my interest towards sports bikes.

Looking at the range of sports bikes available within the 200cc range, there were quite a few options. Like the Yamaha R125, Yamaha R15, Honda SP, Kawasaki Ninja etc. Bikes like the Honda SP and KRR were out of my options as i felt like they were too "small" for me. No doubt they are fast as hell ! I was focused on the Yamaha R125. However while surveying through, i came across 2 brands that i had not heard of. Daelim and Reiju. One is from South Korea and the other from Spain. It just happened that a Daelim bike was on sale. I got in touch with a seller and we met up near my house.

Yamaha R125

Yamaha R12


I was quite surprised when i first saw the bike. It looked big and was heavy. Did not look like a 125cc 2B bike. He let me test ride the bike, and man, it felt awesome ! Moreover, he showed me the maintenance record of the bike. I was assured that the bike was well taken care off.

I spoke to my father about the bike and he positive was me owning it. After settling my insurance with NTUC, i set a date with the owner and he rode me to LTA office located at Sing Min Avenue. After about 2 hours of waiting, we did the transfer of ownership within 10 mins. I paid him a sum of $5000 in full cash after dropping me off near my house. He lived just a few blocks away.


Just reached home after the transfer of ownership at LTA office

I enjoyed and still enjoy riding my motorcycle. One thing that makes my bike unique is the loud slip on pipe installed by the previous owner. He has installed an IXIL Shorty exhaust delivered from Spain. This is a pipe which turns heads on the road. Not many bikes in Singapore have this pipe. Besides, Daelim bikes are not often sighted on the road as compared to Yamaha or Honda. As a result, when i ride, many people wonder what bike is that. I had many who came up to me and said " nice bike ".

Riding in the streets of Geylang

The big size of the bike and tires makes it very stable even at high speeds. Cornering is not an issue with this bike. The only thing that is lacking, is the pickup. For the size and weight of the bike, Daelim should have increased the cylinder capacity to 150 or even 200. In addition to this, after riding a Honda CB400F for my 2A lessons, i find the bike lacking in power. That is the only issue i have with the bike. 

Maintenance wise, i do not have a problem with it. Basic things like oil change can be done at any bike shop. However, when it comes to getting the parts for the bike, most shops might not have it. Reason being, Daelim is not a very well known brand. As a result, the share of Daelim bikes in the market is not high. You have a option of getting the parts like an oil filter shipped in from Korea, and changing it on your own. Nevertheless, Daelim has one main dealer in Singapore, Choong Kok Agency ( CKA ). They have branches in the West and East. Their main building being at Shun Li Industrial Park. It just happens to be located at the same place where i went to rent my bike last year. 

Servicing my bike at CKA Kaki Bukit


CKA Kaki Bukit has an awesome mechanic, Roy. Compared the rest at other branches being Malaysian, their communication in english is not that good. Roy being the only one who can converse well in english, can really explain to you about your bike, even if you have zero knowledge. I have told him this many times. " I don't from the west all the way here because of your service ". I suggest going to CKA Kaki Bukit for your first and subsequent maintenance. Not putting down the other outlets. I have been to their outlet at Bukit Batok a few times because of emergency cases. I had to get my clutch lever replaced and on another occasion, i had to do an overhaul of my bike. 

As of now 06/11/2016, my bike is in good condition and i am enjoying riding on it.
Will do a follow up soon. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi bro. Nice ride. Hows the posture's like? My.TP is next week and if i pass, insyaAllah i might want to get a 2nd hand Roadwin as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The posture is more of a street riding style. The foot pegs are not high enough and also the handle bars are not low to call it a sports posture. In my opinion, if you plan to use this bike only for a year and get a 2a bike, I think you should get other bikes. This bike was going well for the first few months.after that, it started to break down many times. You only can go to 1 dealer to service your bike. Other shops do not have daelim parts. I spent almost 1k just to fix the hike. The only good thing about this bike is that the fuel consumption is low, and it's big and heavy, which can help you prepare for your 2a.

      Delete
    2. Aite, thanks for your honest opinion bro. Just passed just now btw, cant wait to get a bike :)

      Delete
  2. hi, regarding the rental of your motor, is it starkholdings? do you have to pay security deposit for the motor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Yes it is from starkholdings. Nope, no deposit needed.

      Delete